Ellis Island National Monument
Ellis Island was incorporated as part of the Statue of Liberty National Monument on May 11, 1965. Between 1892 and 1954, approximately 12 million steerage and third class steamship passengers who entered the United States through the port of New York were legally and medically inspected at Ellis Island. Reopened on September 10, 1990 after a massive restoration, the Main Building on Ellis Island is now a museum dedicated to the history of immigration and the important role this island claimed during the mass migration of humanity in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Plane - The New York City metropolitan area is served by three major airports: Newark-Liberty International, LaGuardia, and JFK International.
Battery Park is located at the Southern tip of Manhattan, off the West Side Highway South or the FDR Drive South. Parking is limited and can be expensive. Using public transportation is recommended. Please contact the ferry company at (212) 269-5755 for ferry schedules.